Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fruit Carving

Have you ever watched the Food Network, and come across the show "Food Network Challenge"? Well, I have. In fact, I watched the "Fantasy Fruit Sculptures" Episode last night and felt inspired to try my hand at carving fruit myself. Luckily, we had a watermelon lying around. However, since I caught the show at the end (when they were judging) I missed seeing how the chefs actually carved the magnificent designs into the watermelons, pineapples and other fruits, so I had to search for directions on-line. Of course, when you type in instructions for carving, almost everything that pops up is for pumpkins. XD

Anyway, I finally found an instructional video on YouTube by ChefChang. He joined YouTube on June 14, 2008 and since then has uploaded 73 videos simply on how to carve different sorts of fruits with all sorts of different designs! If you are someone who loves to try new things, I really suggest you take a try at fruit carving. Not only is it entertaining, but it is also tasty afterwards, haha! Plus, you can make your creation a pretty centerpiece at a celebration, like a graduation party, birthday party, wedding, or so on.

So, that all being said, I guess I should post the pictures of my first attempt at fruit carving. As I said, I chose to do a watermelon and I watched ChefChang's video on how to carve a Rose.

First, you carve off the green rind.



















Second, you cut a circle out on the top. Don't go all the way through if you've hollowed out the edible part, or you'll have a hole.



















Keep going....



















It sort of looks like a Hurricane swirl here...XD



















And, the final product...my rose! =D



















So, yes. If you'd like to give it a try at fruit carving, I highly recommend checking out ChefChang's YouTube website. =)

Later! =D

Tara


Current Mood:

No comments:

Post a Comment