Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What to Pack

So, as the arrival date for my awesome experience looms closer, there are things that I must consider. Of course, packing is one of them, but there are always other things to think about when one is going away. One should think about the people they are leaving, and how to plan to keep in touch with them. Family, of course, is a big deal to me, so Skype, phoning them, and perhaps even handwritten letters will be involved (just like last time). Another thing to consider is what to bring besides the necessary amount of clothes (and when I say necessary amount, I literally mean that. Don't pack your whole closet unless you're actually moving...permantly. Otherwise, you'll just waste space, time, and have more laundry to do.


Now, as for what else to bring, besides the necessities. I plan to bring a few of my favorite books because as Richard de Bury said in The Philobiblon:


"In books I meet the dead as if they were alive,

in books I see what is yet to come...

All things decay and pass with time...

all fame would fall victim to oblivion

if God had not given mortal men the book to aid them."


Or, as Charles Lamb said in the Last Essays of Elia, 1833:


"A book reads the better which is our own, and has been so long known to us, that we know the topography of its blots, and dog's ears, and can trace the dirt in it to having read it at tea with buttered muffins."


Let's just say I really like books. =D And that is why I will be packing a few of my favorites along.


Current Mood:


No comments:

Post a Comment